Sunday, October 25, 2015

24 October 2015 - 31 Days to Better Genealogy - Day 24


31 Days of Genealogy - Day 24

Day 24 - Record the Story of an Heirloom

Your To-Do
Record the story of one of the heirlooms (or other special item) in your family. You can write it down, blog about it, record a video, make a slide show -- however you want to record it. When you review what you've written/recorded, see what ideas that gives you for more research. (Like my cookie jar making me realize that I don't know the exact address of Mom and Dad's first house.) Also, be sure to share the story with your family members. They might not know why that item is so special to your family's history. 

*****

Here I set with a silver tea/coffee service set .... 5 pieces and a bit serving tray. It's been with me for a while ... and I can remember the same set setting on (or in?) a sideboard of my grandmothers. Don't remember it being used much out of all of the family get togethers and holiday meals. So, I'm asking family …what’s the story behind the silver coffee/tea service? That was on Grandma Beth’s china hutch, correct? How long had it been there? Do you know the story behind it? ... and as Paul Harvey would say ... "and now, page 2"... more later

6 piece coffee and tea service circa 1935

So, here it is, front row, left to right: 4 1/2 inch creamer, 2 7/8 inch waste bowl, 6 inch sugar bowl with lid

Back row, left to right: 5 1/8 inch teapot, 7 7/8 coffee pot

All setting on a 22 inch waiter's tray. Best guess is that the set was a wedding or silver anniversary for my paternal grandparents, wed in 1930. So, dating this would be approximately 1935.

No comments:

Post a Comment